Get it? Because my name is Mal. And I'm inappropriate.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dumb dub

I was recently watching the TV edit of 40-Year-Old Virgin, and although most of the bad words were just bleeped out, sometimes they opted for a dub.  Most of them were just ridiculous (I think one was actually "mother butter"), but there was one scene where the phrase "Fuck me in the asshole" was replaced with "Fudge me in the rathole."  I'm not sure exactly what "Fudge me in the rathole" means, but it sounds a whole lot dirtier than the original phrase.  

It reminds me of an edited version I once watched of Good Will Hunting.  While Matt Damon and Robin Williams's characters are hugging it out, Damon says something to the effect of, "Does this violate the doctor-patient relationship?" The original reply: "Only if you grab my ass."  The edited reply: "Only if I turn around."  I think that elevates things a bit, no? 

Oh, American censorship.  How futile and ineffective you are.

1 comment:

Heinz Healey said...

Is it weird if I think movies are funnier that way?

The company I'm interning at did 40-Year-Old Virgin. Next time Judd Apatow comes around, I may just suggest he make all of his films TV friendly.